India provides quality higher education in various disciplines attracting over 25000 + students and professionals from countries worldwide. As per the reports conducted from 2012 to 2013, it was found that there are 700 universities and over 35000 colleges and Institutes with a total annual enrollment of about 25 million students ( including distance learning ).
In fact, the higher education system in India is the third largest educational system in the entire world after developed Nations like the United States of America and China. All the 700 universities come under central universities, state public universities, private Universities, deemed universities, and institutes of regional and national importance.
While the other 35,000 colleges and Institute comes under various colleges under higher education, big and small diverse professional and vocational training institute and centers. The state public universities constitute about 45% of the total universities present. While the central universities constitute about 6% and the private universities constituted about 25% of the total universities present in India.
To encourage quality higher education in diverse disciplines, The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) of the Government of India launched a very ambitious project titled Rashtriya Uchchtar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) in October 2013. Now let us discuss the top 10 states for quality education in India in detail.
Ranking of States for quality higher education –
- We all know that every state has its own metrics and the status of state-wise higher education differs from state to state. It depends on various factors like the number of total enrollments, the magnitude of students, the quality of higher education in diverse streams, and the number of foreign students visiting the states, etc.
- The Universities, higher educational institutions, and colleges funded by the state government constitute around 40% of the total enrollments in the entire country with over 25 million students every year.
- According to the ranking, the top states of India with respect to qualitative higher education are Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Punjab, and Himachal Pradesh.
- Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, and Karnataka are the leading states with the largest number of state public Universities.
- The Southern states of India like Andhra Pradesh, Tamilnadu, and Karnataka collectively account for over 34% which is around one-third of the total enrollments in the Universities in the whole country.
- Andhra Pradesh state has the largest number of educational institutions in the whole country which is around 15% of the country’s total (35000) institutions. With respect to the total number of Institutions, some other states topping the ranking chart are Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, and Rajasthan.
- When it comes to attracting foreign students and scholars from other countries for higher studies in India, states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, and Delhi are on top in India.
Also Visit : A sneak peek into Dr. BR Ambedkar Telangana Secretariat