Gymnema Sylvestre is a shrub that originated in the tropical forests of India, Australia, and Africa. Gymnema leaves have been used since long in the ancient Indian medicine of Ayurveda for thousands of years. It has been a traditional and ancient remedy for various things, including malaria, diabetes, and snakebites. Here in this article, I am going to mention the 5 impressive health benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre.
- Reduces Sugar Cravings– there is an active component found in Gymnema Sylvestre called gymnemic acid which helps in reducing the sweetness. Consuming before any sugary food or any food the gymnemic acid blocks the sugar receptors in your taste buds. Hence, as a result the ability to taste the sweetness and thus make sweet food less appealing.
- Helps Lower Blood Sugar Levels– you know, according to WHO, more than 420 million people are suffering from Diabetes, and is continuing to increase. Diabetes is a metabolic disease that influences high blood sugar levels. And, Gymnema Sylvestre is said to have anti-diabetic properties. And it is used as a supplement to lower blood sugar levels. Even studies have shown that Gymnema has improved blood sugar blood levels in type 2 diabetes patients. Moreover, Gymnema Sylvestre blocks the receptors in your intestines and as a result, reduces sugar absorption and lowers your after-meal blood sugar level.
- Improves Cholesterol and Reducing Heart Disease Risk– Gymnema Sylvestre helps in lowering the bad LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides. Gymnema reduces extra weight maintenance and reduces liver fats. Also, it decreases blood fat and bad cholesterol levels by 20.2% and 19%. And it increases good HDL cholesterol levels by 22%. However, high levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides are the risk factors for heart disease, and reducing the bad LDL and triglycerides can help in reduces the risk of heart conditions.
- Weight Loss- Gymnema Sylvestre has shown the effect on the human body and on animals as well. Research shows that it helps in reducing weight. If anyone wants to lose weight, they must consume the Gymnema Sylvestre, and studies have shown 5-6% in body weight. However, it blocks the sweet receptors hence, it will cause you to eat fewer sweet foods and take low calory food.
- Traditionally people have been using this to treat different eye diseases, constipation, cold, cough, dental problems, stomach ailments, overweight, etc., because of the antioxidant and antibacterial properties
Now the question is, how to consume Gymnema Sylvestre
Gymnema Sylvestre is traditionally consumed in the form of tea or by chewing its leaves. And in the western style, it can be taken in the form of oils or tablets. Even it can take the form of lead powder. The thing is, how much do you have to take and at what time? So, it depends on what form you are using it, like-
For Tea- Boil leaves for 5 minutes, then let steep for 10–15 minutes before drinking.
For Powder- take only 2 grams, then slowly increase to 4 grams if no side effects occur.
For tablets– 100 mg, 3–4 times daily.
Things to be noted-
- Overconsumption of Gymnema can lead to some side effects including nausea, headache, dizziness, etc.
- It is generally safe for everyone but children and pregnant women or lactating mothers should consult a doctor before consuming any product of Gymnema.
- Patients with diabetes type 1 and 2 can get a dose of 400 to 500 mg regularly of Gymnema Sylvestre
Hope you like the above article, stay tuned for such type of information and updates! Keep visiting the site.
Also visit: Tips & Advantages of Drinking Water at early morning