Margaret Alva Wiki, Biography, Career, Family & More
Margaret Alva was born on the 14th of April in the year 1942 to a Mangalorean Christian family in Mangalore in Karnataka.
Margaret Alva’s real name is Margaret Nazareth. Margaret Nazareth changed her name to Margaret Alva after her marriage.
Margaret Alva’s educational details
Margaret Alva has pursued her BA degree from Mount Carmel College Bangalore and a law degree from a Government Law College in Mangalore.
Margaret Alva’s physical status
Margaret Alva is 168 cm 5 foot 6 inches tall and weighs around 65 kg approximately.
Margaret Alva’s eyeball color is black and her hair color is a mix of black and white hair.
Margaret Alva’s early life
Margaret Alva was an appreciated debater during her college days and she was always involved with student movements.
Margaret Alva’s involvement with women’s welfare organizations paved the way for becoming the President of The Young Women’s Christian Association.
During the early days, she founded Karuna non-governmental organization to focus on issues related to women and children.
Margaret Alva Family Details
Margaret Alva’s father’s name is P.A. Nazareth and her mother’s name is E.L. Nazareth.
Margaret Alva has two brothers and two sisters as siblings. Her brothers’ names are John Mohan Nazareth and Pascal Alan Nazareth who is the former Ambassador of India to Japan, and the author of the book ‘Gandhi: The Soul Force Warrior’.
Margaret Alva’s sisters ‘ names are Corinne Rego and John Peres.
Margaret Alva’s father in law name is Joachim Alva, who was a lawyer, journalist, and politician. Margaret Alva’s mother in law name is Violet Alva who is a Lawyer, Journalist, and politician.
Margaret Alva’s father-in-law and mother-in-law were the first couples in Indian History to be elected to the parliament.
It is then during college time, that Margaret Alva fell in love with Niranjan Thomas Alva who is also a student at Government Law College. They both tied the Knot on 24th May 1964.
The couple was blessed with one daughter and three sons. Among their three children, Niret Alva being the eldest is a Founder and CEO at Miditech Private Limited. Nivedith Alva, the second son is a politician and convenor of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee. Nikhil Alva is the youngest son.
Their daughter Manira Alva is the Vice President at Vital Voices Global Partnership.
Sadly Margaret Alva lost her husband Niranjan Alva in the year 2018 due to a chest infection at Ramaiah Hospital in Bangalore.
Some lesser known facts about Margaret Alva
- Margaret Alva moved to Bangalore for higher studies after completing the primary education in Mangalore.
- Margaret Alva always excelled in her studies and she was the recipient of the title of best all-around student in the year 1961 while she was studying at Mount Carmel College.
- After her marriage to Niranjan Alva, the couple moved to Delhi in 1964.
- Margaret Alva got support from her parents in laws Joachim Alva and Violet Alva to venture into politics who were members of INC. Margaret Alva started her Political career in 1969.
- Margaret Alva has become a politician after serving her initial years of career as a lawyer. She received immense guidance from Karnataka Chief Minister Devaraj Urs, a close confidant of Indira Gandhi at that time.