Sorghum is one of the most commonly grown grain crops in the world after wheat, rice, corn, and barley. Sorghum is commonly known as Jowar and it is a gluten-free grain and has various health benefits that make it worth eating it. Furthermore, there are over 30 different species of sorghum that are native to tropical and subtropical regions around the world.
The scientific name of Sorghum grain is Sorghum bicolor, and popularly known as Indian millet, great millet, milo, orshallu, durra, etc which is a cereal grain plant of the grass family Poaceae. The seeds of sorghum can widely varies in different types of color, shape, and size but they are smaller or similar to those wheat seeds. Here in this article, let’s talk about the benefits of Sorghum seeds.
- A good source of vitamins and minerals- the Jowar or Sorghum seeds are a good source of vitamins and minerals. Sorghum is an excellent source of fat-soluble vitamins and B complex vitamins. The vitamins B are rich in riboflavin, thiamine, and niacin in sorghum comparable to those in maize.
- The high content of dietary fibers- Sorghum is one of the best sources of dietary fiber. The high fiber content of sorghum is very important for digestion, hormone production, and heart health.
- A rich source of antioxidants- Well, the Jowar seeds are highly rich in polyphenol compound which offers a good health-protective effect that is superior to many of the more popular consumed grains, fruits, and vegetables. The seeds have antioxidant properties that are 3 to 4 times higher than whole grains. And the Black Sorghum seeds are high in antioxidants because it contains anthocyanins which have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and anti-diabetic effects.
- Helps in inhibiting tumor growth- The seeds contain 3-deoxyanthoxyanins (3-DXA) compounds and it is shown to have a strong anti-proliferation against the human colon cancer cells. However, the antioxidants inside the layer of Jowar grains search the harmful free radicals and reduce the chance of developing various types of cancer. And even it reduces the risk of oesophageal cancer globally.
- Helps diabetes patients- Diabetes, is the most common disease which occurs due to higher levels of sugar in the blood. Sorghum is good for diabetes and it acts as low glycaemic index food. Consuming sorghum grain is beneficial for the control of blood glucose level and increase insulin sensitivity for diabetic patients.
- Sorghum flour safe for celiac disease- Celiac disease is a type of allergy to gluten which is found in the wheat-based product. Sorghum flour is gluten-free and the best alternative to wheat flour for those who are suffering from celiac disease.
- Lower the cholesterol level- Sorghum seeds can control blood cholesterol. The dietary fiber of Sorghum helps in reducing the bad low-density lipoprotein cholesterol LDL. Research and studies have shown that the lipids of sorghum grain can lower cholesterol levels. Lower the level of cholesterol and reduces the risk of stroke, type 2 diabetes, and chronic inflammation.
Also Visit : Do You Know ? Coffee Helps to lose Weight