You know, blood pressure is one of the biggest health risks today. High blood pressure can lead to many diseases like heart disease, so keeping control of the blood pressure will decrease your affecting from disease. Every year on May 17th the world celebrates World Hypertension Day. High BP is one of the biggest health risks that face the world population today. High blood pressure can cause infinite problems like diabetes, stroke, heart disease, kidney failure, and even death in some worst cases.
Hypertension is an unusual condition, it has no symptoms. The only way to check this is to get your blood pressure checked from time to time. The research shows that only one-third of all people know they suffer from high blood pressure. The normal range or limit of blood pressure is 120/80. The range between 120/80 – 140/90 is referred to as ‘pre-hypertension’ and anything over 140/90 should be treated quickly.
Here are some types of Foods that are high in vitamins C and E that can help lower your blood pressure.
Antioxidant-rich foods may have little impact on blood pressure levels. But Foods that are high in vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, selenium, or L-arginine are good options to lower blood pressure. The Antioxidants protect your cells from damage and can reduce inflammation, which keeps your blood pressure in control.
Also Visit: Top 7 Benefits of Vitamin E capsules for skin
1. Foods high in vitamin C- Foods that are high in vitamin C can protect against oxidative stress, which causes inflammation.
- Brussels sprouts.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, limes, and lemons.
2. Foods high in vitamin E- The fat-soluble nutrient acts as an antioxidant to protect the cells from free radical damage.
- Sunflower seeds.
- Peanut butter.
3. Foods high in potassium- Potassium helps in reducing blood pressure by relaxing your blood vessels’ walls and helping your body to remove the excessive sodium.
- Nuts/seeds like pistachios, almonds and flax seeds.
4. Foods high in selenium- Selenium is an antioxidant that protects the body from oxidative stress.
- Seafood like tuna, halibut, and shrimp.
- Brazil nuts.
5. Foods high in L-arginine- L-arginine helps make nitric oxide, a chemical that helps in relaxing muscle cells.
- Nuts or seeds like pumpkin seeds, walnuts and peanuts.
- Beans like chickpeas and soybeans.
- Dairy like milk, yogurt and cheese.
6. Foods high in calcium-
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Dark green leafy vegetables and broccoli.
- Dried beans and peas.
- Fortified tofu.
- Fortified orange juice.
- Fortified non-dairy kinds of milk like almond, soy, coconut, and oat.
What are the other foods that may help lower your blood pressure?
Garlic may also help lower your blood pressure. Garlic has shown effects to help reduce inflammation.
A little amount of alcohol has also been shown to help lower blood pressure. But to be noted, consuming high or greater quantities of alcohol can cause blood pressure to rise.
How to Control High Blood Pressure?
1. Eat less salt – consuming too much salt can cause a spike in blood pressure. A drop in sodium consumption means a drop in blood pressure, it can differ from a person to person.
2. Don’t take too much stress- Stressful situations shoot the blood pressure.
3. Exercise- exercise regularly to keep your blood pressure in control, Belly fat may trigger high blood pressure also.
4. Sleep- get at least 6-7 hours of sleep every night. The less hours of sleep you get, the higher your blood pressure will get. The lack ness of sleep can lead to various health-related problems.
5. reduce your alcohol intake and Quit smoking because nicotine leads to increase blood pressure.
6. if you are consuming caffeine then stop taking it, caffeine can cause increase in your blood pressure.
Also Visit: 10 Winter Precautions Tips everyone should know!