Tourism: Dudhsagar waterfalls have been the major attraction of tourists in Goa, well Goa is famous for its pristine beaches. Dudhsagar is termed the sea of Milk. Dudhsagar waterfalls are India’s highest waterfall. It falls at a height of 1020 feet and is 100 feet wide. It is at its peak during the Rainy season from mid-June to September.
After shooting the movie Chennai Express at Dudhsagar waterfall, it has become very famous and has been a spot of attraction in Goa.
It is located in the East part of the state in Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary. If anyone is coming from Bangalore then they can reach Castle rock, around 500km from Bangalore.
History Behind Dudhsagar Falls:
It is said that the daughter of the kings of Ghats, used to take a bath in the river with her maidens. That time they used to drink milk or any other drinks from the golden mugs and beautiful stones over them. One day the prince passing by the river and he heard the princess laughing beside the river, in the honor of princess he upturned the jug of milk and it created a line around her (which mixed with the river), since then people say it Dudh Sagar (the sea of milk).
How to Locate Dudhsagar Falls in Goa?
It falls from the Braganza Ghats of Karnataka, and in Goa, it falls from a mountain. Dudhsagar Waterfalls, after meeting the river at many places, finally falls into the Arabian Sea at Panjim.
How to reach – Travelling Options
Dudhsagar waterfalls is located in a dense forest area, so there is no accessible road to reach the falls. There are many ways to reach the waterfalls, one of the first ways is-
You can go through the station Castlerock by taking a Passenger train, it is around 14km from Castlerock and 11km from kulem. There is no station around Dudh Sagar falls, so you will have to walk through the railway tracks, and you will have to hire a guide for the guidance. According to me, that’s not the safest option to walk on railway tracks, and keeping safety purposes in mind, avoid this route and take another, no matter how long it will be but that will be safe.
The second option is- to trek through the forest, if you know the route then go ahead, but if you don’t know then you must hire a guide, and if you are choosing this route of trekking, you will have to reach Kulem village. By choosing this way, it is also very difficult because in the monsoon season the forest path will be muddy and slushy, so prepare yourself before walking through the forest. Many water streams come in between and would be a bit difficult to cross, wear the trekking shoes and take some important things with you while trekking, and it is an almost 12km long path but the most beautiful path that takes you to the base of the waterfall.
The third route is to take a jeep safari to reach Dudh Sagar waterfalls, if you are choosing this route then you will have to reach the Dudhsagar Taxi stand in kulem village, this option will be reliable but not in the monsoon time due to heavy rain or muddy and slushy routes. It takes 45minutes to reach the end of the road but then you have to walk 15-20minutes to the base of the waterfalls.
Also Read: 10 Youngest Youth Icons from India Inspiring Millions Of youngsters
Viewpoints at Dudhsagar waterfalls
- The main thing you have to see that the railway bridge, you will get a detailed view of a fall where the part of the fall will be above you and other parts flowing behind the bridge.
- Secondly, go to the base of the waterfall, from there you will be able to see the whole waterfall view from top to bottom.
This is the starting point of the waterfalls
- You will have to enter from the gate, as shown in the above picture which is the entry gate, and now find the viewpoint here, you will have to cross a few water streams to reach the base. You can swim there also, but continuously check the flow of water, if not too forceful.
- Entry to the National Park- 50 INR
- Life Jacket (compulsory) – 30 INR
- Guide Fee- 500 INR
- Jeep Fee- 2800 INR
Best time to reach To Dudhsagar waterfalls
You can visit falls during the monsoon season, because due to rain the water flow will be very high, and the most beautiful scene of the waterfall you can see. July is mid of the monsoon season, so this is the best time to visit, you can plan your trip. The month of Nov- Jan, it is also a good time to visit the waterfalls.
Things to do at Dudhsagar waterfalls
- You can swim in the pool of Dudh Sagar, the natural pool.
- Trekking through the forest will be a lifetime adventure, camp near waterfalls for a night, it will be an amazing experience.
- Jeep safari, you will be riding through the wildlife sanctuary, and you will have a chance to see the wildlife life.
- Devil’s canyon- it is hardly 1km from the dudhsagar waterfalls, it is a picturesque river gorge, and you will find the rare Black Panther there. Hiking is one of the best things here, it will be a breathtaking experience.
- A walk to aromatic spice gardens which is also close to the waterfall. Come around and see the beauty and enjoy the scent of natural species, where you will get the chance to connect with Nature.
- If you are religious then must have a look at the most religious temple in Goa- Tambadi Surla, the temple of Shiv which is located in the dense forest. It has unique architecture and amazing structures.
Things to remember
- If you are going to the waterfall base then make sure that all the eatable items are inside your bags, because there are lots of monkeys who are roaming around.
- If you are going to swim then, must wear a life jacket and do not swim during the monsoon because of the high water flow.
- There are no restaurants present around the waterfalls carry your own food items
- Keep an eye on your luggage, no cloak room and rest room is present inside the falls.
Hope this article helps you in planning your trip to the Dudhsagar Waterfalls. Enjoy and have a great journey!!
Also Visit: ‘Lexie Limitless’ : The youngest person to visit every country