Tinospora cordifolia is commonly known as Guduchi or Giloy Plant and is known for herbaceous vine and glabrous climbing shrub. This plant belongs to the family of Menispermaceae and is a genetically diverse, deciduous shrub that is found in very higher altitudes. Giloy plant is a climbing shrub that is originally found in India and is well known as a traditional plant that is widely used in Ayurveda for thousands of years. This plant is said to be having some medicinal properties like anti-diabetic, anti-periodic, anti-malarial, anti-oxidant, anti-stress, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-allergic, and hepatoprotective properties. In Ayurvedic medicine, the Guduchi plant is considered to be one of the three Amrit plants.
The plant is a good source of protein and micronutrients like zinc, copper, iron, manganese, and phosphorous. It also consists of some components like alkaloids, steroids, diterpenoid lactones, aliphatic, and glycosides. Giloy plant is been used in treatment in Ayurvedic medicine for ages for high fever, diabetes, high cholesterol, jaundice, gout, cancer, chronic diarrhea, bone fracture, asthma, skin infection, skin diseases, pain, snake bite, eye disorders, and much more.
It is mentioned in ancient Ayurveda, that this plant is very useful in the treatment of fever, jaundice, asthma, leprosy, gout, etc. This herb is very special for tribals across India. They used the Guduchi plant to treat various diseases including ear pain, cough, dysentery, bone fractures, skin disease, and women’s issues. Here are some of the benefits of the Guduchi plant.
Improves digestion Guduchi is very useful for improving digestion. A study showed that this plant is very effective against amoebic infection of the digestive system. The consumption of Guduchi in the form of powder mixed with amla or jaggery is an effective remedy for constipation. The starch obtained from this plant is very beneficial for the digestive system.
Good for diabetes Research has shown the effect of Guduchi on reducing blood sugar levels, especially during fasting levels. It also regulates the blood sugar level by reducing oxidative stress, by enhancing insulin release and reducing the production and breakdown of glucose in the body. Guduchi is especially useful for type 2 diabetes patients.
Arthritis The entire plant of Guduchi is used for the treatment, the stem of Guduchi helps in inflammation and arthritis. It also helps in reducing joint pain and other things that are related to arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis can also be reduced by consuming powdered Guduchi stem mixed with ginger.
Also visit: Triphala Choornam Health Benefits
Some Other Benefits of Guduchi are-
- It is also used to treat malaria, swine flu, and dengue. If Guduchi is given to patients in this condition, it will increase the platelet levels in the blood. And also helps in the reduction of white blood cancers which happens due to cancer treatment.
- The plant is said to have anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing respiratory problems like reoccurring colds, coughs, asthma, and tonsils.
- The most important use of this plant is, it is very helpful in the treatment of the HIV virus.
- Even studies have shown that the plant is helpful in regulating abnormal liver function in patients with infective hepatitis.
- If someone has urinary stones or stone disorders, then the liquid extract of this plant can help in breakdown the stones.
- Guduchi is useful in reducing the symptoms of post-menopausal issues without any side effects.
Guduchi plant can be taken in two forms, capsules, and tablets. If it is taken in the form of stem power then only 3-6g is considered. And if taken as capsules then 1-2 capsules per day with water after a meal is considered.