Jagtial Fort, Karimnagar throws light on the rich history of rulers. The fort is visited by heritage lovers as it is fitted with cannons and stands out in Telangana.
Jagtial Fort was used as a Defence Fort in the 17 century by the Mughal dynasty. The fort was designed by two European engineers – Jack and Tal during the 17th century.
The fort is surrounded by four lakes and they are Mote pond, Dharma Samandar, Mupparaap, and Kandla Palli. The fort is named Jagtial, after the names of the two engineers who built it. The fort’s architecture resembles a strong taste to the castles of Europe.
The Jagtial fort was built by Nawab Ibrahim, a Governor in the Mughal dynasty during their rule. The main gates of the fort were built in such a way that they are lifted using pulleys. Jagtial fort is the only star-shaped fort in the State with a moat (water body).
Although the majority of the architecture of the fort has deteriorated over the years, the well is still safe and is a source of water for locals in the region. Jagtial fort is located about 50 km distance from Karimnagar district headquarters. This ancient and historic monumental structure is a special attraction of Jagtial town. But the Jagtial fort is on the verge of encroachment. The Archaeology Department took measures to reconstruct the walls. But their efforts went insufficient to reconstruct the famous monument.
The Assistant Director of Archaeology, N. Mallikarjun Rao had declared Jagtial Fort as a protected monument. He said that they had decided to construct a cannon gallery with the existing 43 cannons. He also declared that the government is planning to construct a museum for the cannons to educate people about the importance of the fort.
Some must-know facts about Jagtial Fort
- Jagtial fort is located at a distance of 190 km from Hyderabad. And, it is about only 50 km from Karimnagar.
- There is a big mosque present at the entrance of the fort dating back to the Nizam Shahi dynasty of Golconda. The mosque is called Jamia Masjid.
- The fort is designed by two European engineers – Jack and Tal. Later, the name of fort Jagtial is named after their names.
- Jagtial fort is built during the reign of Nawab Ibrahim, a Governor in the Mughal dynasty.
- This is the only star-shaped fort in the State with many cannons installed.
- The government had declared Jagtial Fort a protected monument and constructed a museum for the cannons.