So, Prawn is a sea species or seafood and is the common name for a small aquatic crustacean, which is also known as ‘shrimp’. Prawns can be found in cold or warm waters and also could be farmed. Those prawns found in cold water varieties are tend to be smaller. There are thousands of different types of varieties of prawns that can be eaten. Well, the thing is, do prawns has some benefits? If yes, then what are they? First, you should know how prawns are healthy. If you are cooking 100g prawns then it will give you 70 Kcal, 0.9g fat, 15g protein, 1mg iron and zinc, 30 mcg of selenium, 1.47g salt, and 13 mcg of iodine.
Here are the top 5 health benefits of prawns
1. A useful source of vitamins- so, prawns are a useful source of vitamins especially the B group of vitamins, including B12 and folate. These vitamins play a very important role in energy production and renew the red blood cells. Additionally, Prawns provide more than 22 times the vitamin E levels of either chicken or beef. This fat-soluble vitamin acts as an antioxidant and is protective against heart disease and cancer.
2. A source of important trace minerals- Prawns are a powerful and useful source of some hard tracing minerals, such as zinc, iodine, and selenium. The human body needs iodine to support the right functioning of the thyroid gland, whereas the zinc and selenium supports the immune system.
3. A source of protective antioxidants– Prawns have a pink hue because they have a compound called astaxanthin, which is obtained through the algae that prawns eat. This compound has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in reducing the risk of some chronic diseases, like heart disease and cancer, and is beneficial for skin health.
4. Prawns support weight loss- Shellfish such as prawns are an excellent source of digestible high-quality of protein. It is also low in calories and fat and which may be a useful addition to a weight loss plan.
5. two portions of seafood per week is highly recommended – a healthy, balanced diet should include at least two portions of fish or seafood per week, and one portion should be an oily variety of fish. Shellfish, like prawns, are highly recommended.
Also Read :Microplastics found in human Blood highlight the major Health Emergency of Plastic Pollution
6. Helps build strong bones– Prawns are a very rich source of Calcium and calcium is essential for the body to improve bone structure. If you want strong bones or strong teeth, then you would be needing a lot of calcium, especially by growing teens. Consuming regularly to get enough amount of calcium for the body.
7. Help with youthfulness- Prawns are considered to be very good for your skin. This is because that Prawns consist of Vitamin E which is very good for your skin. So regular eating of prawns in your diet results in youthfulness and make you look young.
Now the question is, are prawns safe for everyone? Prawns naturally contain cholesterol but are also low in saturated fat, which means that eating prawns is unlikely to raise the bad or LDL cholesterol. Prawns also contain high levels of sodium when compared with white fish like cod, if you are on a low-salt diet, you have to limit your intake.